Thursday, 23 January 2014
Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Ravi Zacharias on Postmodern Architecture at Ohio State
From an address by Ravi Zacharias:
I remember lecturing at Ohio State University, one of the largest universities in this country. I was minutes away from beginning my lecture, and my host was driving me past a new building called the Wexner Center for the Performing Arts.
He said, “This is America’s first postmodern building.”
I was startled for a moment and I said, “What is a postmodern building?”
He said, “Well, the architect said that he designed this building with no design in mind. When the architect was asked, ‘Why?’ he said, ‘If life itself is capricious, why should our buildings have any design and any meaning?’ So he has pillars that have no purpose. He has stairways that go nowhere. He has a senseless building built and somebody has paid for it.”
I said, “So his argument was that if life has no purpose and design, why should the building have any design?”
He said, “That is correct.”
I said, “Did he do the same with the foundation?”
All of a sudden there was silence.
You see, you and I can fool with the infrastructure as much as we would like, but we dare not fool with the foundation because it will call our bluff in a hurry.
Friday, 3 January 2014
Pastor Brian Brookins
Conversion is the way that the church grows; but it is also a way that we continue to grow in our walk with Christ.
Romans 9: 21-22
7 Truths that we see worked out in this scripture:
1. Someone has to be first. Sometimes that will be me. I won't enter into heaven and say "well, everybody else was doing that, that way".
2. Repentance is the LIFESTYLE of the Christian. There are aspects of my life that need to change. I just don't know what they are yet
3. The gospel plus the Holy Spirt brings change.
4. You probably need to change your thinking about good works. God has called me to a life of good works.
5. Good works are avenues to experience and know God. (Ephesians 2: 10)
6. Good works are fueled by prayer.
7. Good works are a way that we let the light of God shine in our lives.